You have to accept the fact that you always struggle to find and store your tools in the garage if they are not well organized. To prevent this from happening and declutter your garage, you should opt for a garage storage system for better organization and storage of your tools and accessories.
Following are some things that you should look for before buying a storage system for your garage:
There are various types of storage systems available for garages, such as shelving, wall tool hanging systems, cabinets, and overhead shelving. Wall tool hanging systems have several advantages, and so do other storage systems. In this article, we will be covering each type of garage storage system so you can choose the right one for yourself.
Choosing the right storage system for your garage depends on the things you want to store. Once you determine the type of garage storage system you want, consider how big it should be to accommodate all your tools and accessories. This is an important decision to make before buying a storage system, especially cabinet systems, because they cannot be expanded without purchasing a whole new system.
If you want to opt for a shelving system, you can start by buying a few units and then add more as you need them.
If you plan to store heavy equipment on your storage racks, then you should consider the storage system’s weight capacity. While many systems are designed to bear hundreds of pounds without giving up, you should opt for a system that is burly instead of too lightweight because it could break under the stain.
The material that your garage storage system is made of directly affects its durability, weight capacity, and its own weight. Heavy stainless steel material is typically used for the construction of garage storage systems because they are extremely strong and durable without being actually heavy. However, you can also find sturdy cabinets and shelving made from wood or other materials as well.
The last thing you want is the storage system you buy taking an entire weekend to assemble. Good storage systems are easy to install and come with easy instructions so that even a person with no hardware knowledge can assemble it conveniently, and quickly move on to organizing his stuff.
First, you should only buy a storage system that can withstand the beating of loading and unloading heavy tools onto it. Second, you want multi-year warranties to have peace of mind that you can return the product if it goes sideways.
Here is the list of best garage storage systems:
- A great and affordable replacement for pricy garage cabinets and overhead racks
- Holds up to 1,750 pounds
- Adjustable wire shelves
- Doesn’t require any tools for assembly
- Measures 36L x 14W x 72H inches
- Space-saving, slim design but tall enough to store various items easily
- Option to add casters for portability
- Available in black and chrome finish
- Sturdy construction
- Made of sturdy steel for heavy-duty, multipurpose storage.
- Option to add casters for portability
- Adjustable shelf height for customization as per your convenience
- Measures 60 inches in height, 30 inches in width, and 14 inches in depth
- Large enough to store anything, including canned goods and spare tires, etc.
- Each shelf can hold up to 300 pounds – 4-tier shelving can hold up to 1200 pounds, and 5-tier can hold up to 1500 pounds
- Spacious and sturdy design
- Being an overhead rack, it offers a lot of storage space (104 cubic feet)
- It can hold up to 600 lbs.
- Made of 13 gauge steel
- Features rust and scratch-resistant, powder-coated finish
- Comes in gray and white
- The width can be adjusted from 6 ft. to 8 ft.
- Comes with all the required hardware for ceiling mounting
- To add more storage to the rack, you can opt for a 12-piece accessory kit of utility
- Can be fastened to the wall for saving space
- Great for smaller things such as tools and sports equipment
- The package includes two 20-Gauge galvanized steel pegboards
- Each pegboard measures 32 x 16 inches, providing you with 7 square feet of storage
- Can hold up to 200 pounds
- Comes in 12 different colors to choose from
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- Made of laminated composite wood that makes it look elegant
- Available in different sizes and four colors to choose from
- Has two adjustable and one fixed shelf
- Soft-edged corners on doors for safety
- Ready to assemble
- Internal dimensions are 30.25W x 59.5H x 15.75D inches and Assembled dimensions are 32 W x 16 D x 65 H inches
- One inch thick, durable melamine work surface
- High-quality all-metal handles
- Weighs 121 pounds
- Available in two colors
- Made of heavy-duty cold-rolled steel
- Has a maximum load capacity of 600 pounds
- A great way to prevent your garage tools from water damage
- Has a storage area of 105 cubic feet
- Dimensions: 96L x 48W x 22-40H inches
- Equipped with six vertical posts and long ceiling brackets for safety
- Integrated grid design for more stability and durability
- Easy installation (you can follow their YouTube video for DIY installation)
- Weighs 68 pounds
- Available in four colors
- Comes with 22 polypropylene bins in three sizes (medium, large, and extra-large)
- Shelves measure 14-inches deep by 36-inches wide
- Equipped with four 3-inch swivel wheels for easy mobility
- Platinum epoxy finish for increased protection against corrosion
- Maximum weight capacity per shelf is 25 pounds without leveling feet and 150 pounds with leveling feet
- The bins have labels to help you identify your things easily
- Bins dividers included for better organization
- Backed by a limited 10-year warranty
- Weighs 69 pounds
Note: Leveling feet are not included in the package. You have to buy them separately to increase the weight capacity per shelf.
- Easy to assemble (under 15 minutes only)
- Weighs 41 pounds
- Heavy-duty construction for more durability
- Shelves are fully adjustable
- An excellent choice for storing bulkier items
- Can be secured with a standard padlock, keeping all your items secured, so they don’t get stolen
- Dimensions: 18.9 x 25.6 x 69.4 inches
- Made of high quality, heavy-duty steel
- Has two shelves and each shelf has a weight capacity of 40 pounds. The lower shelf (on the floor) can accommodate an additional 70 pounds.
- Easy assembly
- Excellent cabinet structure for lasting durability
- Equipped with a durable magnetic catch that can powerfully hold the cabinet door when closed
- Weighs 29.6 pounds
- Dimensions: 28 x 12 x 28 inches
- Available in three styles
- Weighs 383 pounds
- The shelves are made of sturdy steel (adjustable height)
- Maximum weight limit across sections is 2,100 pounds (total)
- The doors and frames are built with 24-gauge steel along with powder-coat paint finish
- Fully-lockable doors for more safety
- Easy to clean bamboo worktop
- Dimensions: 108 W x 18 D x 77.25 H inches
- Has a total weight capacity of 600 pounds (each shelf can hold up to 150 pounds of weight)
- Powder-coated steel frame
- The heavy-duty wheels are smooth to roll and equipped with breaks to ensure stability when in one place
- Weighs 144 pounds
- Dimensions: 18 x 36 x 72 inches
A garage storage system won’t just help you store your tools in an organized way, but also clear out the clutter in your garage, freeing up space for your new projects. Quality garage cabinets and storage systems are easy to organize and also durable enough to accommodate all your tools and accessories in one place.
However, before buying a storage system for your garage, make sure you consider the things we mentioned in the buying guide and search a storage system accordingly. This way, you will be able to buy the best one without getting confused.