One of the biggest difficulties people face when they are maintaining their garage is keeping the space clean and organized. Neglect, untidiness, and lack of space organization can lead to a total mess, and you find yourself in a position where it easier to leave your garage as it is rather than taking a weekend off to clean it up. The best thing you can do to save space and organize your garage is using wall tool hanging systems.
In this article, we have put together some recommendations of wall tool hanging systems, along with a buying guide so you can wisely choose the right one for your garage.
Advantagesof a High-Quality Tool Hanging System
The most observable benefit of having a wall tool hanging system is cleanliness and organization. Nothing looks worse than a messy garage filled with carelessly stacked rakes, shovels, and tools piled on workbenches and shelves. You will love entering your garage once you see everything up off the floor/workbench, and on the hanging system – everything will look much more organized than before.
Another advantage of installing a wall tool hanging system is protection – you don’t want those dangerous tools falling over onto your kids, pets, or vehicle. A wall tool hanging system ensures that nothing is accessible by kids, and everything is up on the wall securely.
Features To Look For In a Tool Hanging System
Durability and Maximum Weight Capacity
The first thing you want to ensure is that if the wall panels and racks/hangers are durable enough to support a great deal of weight reliably. You should look for a hanging system that can easily accommodate your tools, rakes, and shovels, etc. because the last thing you want to be worried about is everything falling onto the floor in the middle of the night.
You should pay consideration to the materials that make up your wall tool hanging system. The accessories should be made of reliable materials such as sturdy metal and coated as well to prevent rust.
The Number of Accessories it can hold
What benefit would you get from a wall tool hanging system that is unable to accommodate all your garage tools and accessories? This is the reason you should look for a hanging system that can hold a variety of accessories and tools, including the ones you currently have in your garage. Extra hanging space is a bonus because it will allow you to hang new tools and accessories as well whenever you get them in the future.
Obviously, you want a garage tool hanging system to store your tools, but you would also like it to look good up on the wall of your garage. For this purpose, you should pick something that doesn’t only offer quality but also adds to the overall look of your garage.
Finally, you want a tool hanging system that is both easy to use and install. If the racks and accessories it comes with are too difficult to operate, soon it is likely to become just another wall ornament that you may never use again.
Pegboard vs. Slatwall vs. Rack
Pegboard is perforated hardboard, which is most commonly available in ¼-inch thick 4 x 8 feet panels – it is the cheapest option for a wall tool hanging system. There are lots of different options for pegboards, but you should pick the one that is within your budget and suits to your requirements. However, pegboards are flexible and might seem “flimsy” to some – plus, they also tend to chip and split quite easily. So first make sure to check the pegboard’s maximum weight capacity and then hang your items accordingly.
If you don’t want to go through all the effort and expense of drywalling and framing your garage walls, Slatwall is the way to go for you. There is a couple of different types of Slatwall panels available in the market, including MDF (medium-density fiberboard) Slatwall panels and more modern, Slatwall panels made of cellular foam PVC construction. The former is quite heavy and come with horizontal rows for hanging garage tools and accessories. The latter is an improved version of MDF Slatwall panels that offer several benefits over them, including moisture resistance, weight, durability, and on top of everything, looks!
Racks are steel bars that have hooks attached on them to hang various tools like rakes, shovel, spade, broom, mop, or any other tool that has a rod. They are cheap and can be installed in minutes. However, they don’t offer support for hanging different types of accessories or tools.
So, now you know the pros and cons of racks, pegboard, and Slatwall – you will be able to choose the right hanging system for your garage. If you end up installing Slatwall panels, keep in mind how much weight and abuse they can take in your garage. If your pegboard or rack gets damaged, it is cheap and can easily be replaced – but with Slatwall, you are replacing an entire section at a considerable cost.
If you don’t have many items to hang, then we recommend you to stick with the cheaper option, pegboard or racks. Otherwise, Slatwall panels are there for you to offer the best value for money.
Pegboard Organizer Wall Control 4 ft. Metal Pegboard Standard Tool Storage Kit with Black Toolboard and Black Accessories
MOHOO Adjustable Storage System 64 Inch, Wall Holders for Tools, Wall Mount Tool Organizer, Garage Organizer, Garden Tool Organizer, Heavy Duty Tools Hanger with 4 Rails 16 Hooks
Best Garage Wall Tool Hanging Systems
- An attractive panel that supports a multitude of accessories and tools
- You can add a variety of shelves, buckets, bins, hooks, and other accessories to save floor space
- Can also be used as a simple rail system by attaching end caps to the panels
- Panels are made of durable materials that won’t wear and tear over time
- Offers easy installation for DIYers
- Can support 50 pounds per linear foot
- Modular system
- Weighs 47 pounds only
- Measures 8 (W) x 4 (H) feet
- Can support 4,800 pounds of maximum weight – 75 pounds per square feet
- The package includes ten proslat panels and a 20-piece multipurpose hook kit
- Modular system
- Hooks are made of heavy-duty steel, which means they can disperse the workload throughout the wall
- Supports 100 pounds of weight per square feet – shelves hold up to 55 pounds each
- Patented modular design
- Available in silver and white
- You can extend it to do full customization
- Offers multiple configurations
- Includes 4ft panels, four 8-inch hooks, ten x-hooks, and required installation/finishing hardware
- Easy installation
- Offers more than 40 inches of hanging space
- Can accommodate over 30 standard size shovels
- Weighs 16 pounds only
- Powder-coated steel construction for more durability
- Has a maximum weight capacity of 100 pounds
- An excellent choice for storing shovels, rakes, brooms, line trimmers, mops, etc.
- Perfect for both home and commercial garage
- Dimensions: 48 x 3 x 12 inches
- Available in several color options to choose from according to your garage’s interior
- Ten times stronger than conventional pegboard because of its 20-gauge steel construction
- Weighs 29 pounds
- Offers 10.5 square feet of storage space
- Three 16-inch x 32-inch black powder-coated pegboard panels
- High-quality pegboard finish for a premium look
- Comes with Wall Control Slotted Accessories and mounting hardware
- Accommodates ¼-inch pegs & Wall Control accessories
- Easy installation
- You can mount the pegboard directly into studs or sheetrock without the need of any framework
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- Dimensions: 9 x 48 x 32 inches
- Comes in two sizes
- Weighs 4.23 pounds
- Heavy-steel construction means more durability
- Its maximum weight capacity is 1,750 pounds
- You can hang the rail on the wall with a gap of either 16 or 24 inches
- Can hang a variety of accessories, including curved utility hooks and vertical storage shelves
- The hooks are equipped with locking grippers that provide reinforced security when you are attaching the hooks to the rail
- Easy installation
- Looks and feels durable
- Dimensions: 7 x 6 x 32.9 inches
Note: The kit includes installation instructions, required hardware, two 32” fast track garage rails, one power tool holder, one utility hook, one multi-purpose hook, and a 2-handle hook.
- Easy 3-step installation
- The rail can be extended by connectors, or you can end it with interlock connector
- Each rail has a maximum weight capacity of 12 pounds while each peg can bear the weight of 5 pounds
- Made of heavy-duty material
- An excellent choice for hanging tools like spade, shovel, rakes, and other garden tools at garage
- Dimensions: 3.9 x 3.9 x 3.9 inches
Note: The kit includes four plastic rails, 20 plastic pegs, ten small metal hooks, ten large metal hooks, 16 dowels, 16 screws, and four interlock connectors.
- Made from heavy-duty steel
- Has a maximum weight capacity of 250 pounds
- The rack can hold rakes, shovels, ladders, hammers, backpacks, skateboards, helmets, and more
- The wall track is fully adjustable
- Includes 45 mounting points for more storage attachments
- Has a maximum weight capacity of 200 pounds
- Weighs 10.3 pounds
- Available in two sizes: Max and Compact
- Dimensions: 46.2 x 13.5 x 3.5 inches
Note: The kit includes four large attachments (11-inch long, 2-inch wide) and two small attachments (5-inch long, 2.5-inch wide).
One of the best ways to recoup your lost space in the garage and organize it is by using a garage tool hanging or rack system. Whether you choose a rack system, pegboard or Slatwall for your garage, you will end up improving your work effectiveness because all these wall tool hanging system will assist you in appropriately organizing your tools and keeping your workspace neat and clean.
All the wall tool hanging systems that we have recommended are considered best by many users – you can get started with the one that seems to fulfil your requirements and is within your budget.