As the name suggests, a pull-out sofa bed allows you to lounge around all day and then convert the same sofa to a convenient sleeping area at night. It is an excellent choice to opt for if you want to save space and organize your home, especially if you have small rooms. If you wish to buy a pull-out sofa bed for yourself or accommodating guests, you can easily find the right one in this article according to your requirements.
Types of Pullout Sofa Beds
If you are looking for something space-saving and minimalistic, futon is the best choice to go for. It is known for its low-profile and casual look. A futon usually has a single cushion over either a metal or wooden frame.
- Sleeper Chair
If you often have guests in your home for an overnight stay and there is no extra room to accommodate, then sleeper chairs are a great option to go for. You can easily fold it out into a size of a twin-size bed.
Daybeds have a shape more like a bed than a sofa. They have almost the same dimensions as of a full-size bed or a standard twin bed.
- Pullout Couch
A pullout couch is a 2-in-one item. You can use it as either a full-size sofa or full/king/queen-size bed. They are available in different designs and styles – the most common option is a 3-seater sofa with a queen-size mattress.
- Power Open
Power open pullout sofa beds are a great choice if you face problem to move a couch around your house. They can fold out with just the push of a button.
Types of Mattresses
- Cotton/Polyester Fill
Cotton or polyester fill mattresses are used for futons. Such mattresses are available in a variety of thicknesses. If you are looking for ultimate comfort, you should opt for the one with a minimum depth of 8 inches.
- Air-Over Coil
Air-over coil mattresses are equipped with an inflatable air bed on the top of an innerspring mattress. They have a comfortable thickness and can easily fold out into a sofa when airbed deflates.
Latest innerspring mattresses now feature additional coils and thick padding so you can have a good night’s sleep. Look for mattresses with 5-inch depth, steel coils, and a qualified cover for the best comfort level. The comfort of an innerspring mattress depends on the number of coils – higher the number, comfier the mattress is.
Additionally, innerspring mattresses feature stress-relieved and temperature-treated springs to reduce stress.
- Memory Foam
A standard sofa bed’s foam mattress boasts a depth of 3.5 inches. Make sure you don’t purchase a foam mattress that is made of low-density material because it will only make your back hurt. Memory foam mattresses feature durable visco-elastic foam so your body can have steady support. Such mattresses can also adjust to every body type, providing enhanced comfort.
Advantages of a Pullout Sofa Bed
- You can either sit or lay down onto it to release all the stress
- It is classy and gives your room a minimalistic look
- Easy to move around the house
- Great for accommodating unexpected guests over a night stay
- Easy to fold
- Designed to set up easily
Things to Look for When Buying a Pullout Sofa Bed
- Type and Size
Before investing a considerable amount on pullout sofa beds, you should consider the different options available. Like the types we have mentioned above and their size. Opting for a king, full, or a queen-size is an excellent option because they can accommodate more people.
Also, measure your room’s dimensions and bring a sofa bed that suits your room size.
- Material and Construction
Once you determine the pullout sofa bed’s type and size, thoroughly go through the construction and materials used. See if its frame is made from metal, kiln-dried hardwood, or hardwood blend with plywood (furniture grade).
The sofa bed should be constructed and designed in such a way that it allows you to fold the bed in and out with ease. Also, make sure that it features any lock to secure the mattress in place when using it as a sofa. The edges should be smooth so you don’t hurt yourself accidentally.
- Quality and Comfort
If you want a high-quality sofa bed, opt for an ultra-soft memory foam mattress. The combination of a heavy-duty metal frame and good quality metal gives solid support to the body. For enhanced comfort, you can choose a wire-mesh mattress or wooden slats frame. It prevents drooping and screeching. However, regardless of the type of frame you go for, make sure it can easily handle a weight of 200 to 300 pounds without giving up.
Top-of-the-line sofa beds are backed by multi-year warranties on both product and parts. Several years of warranty allow you to either replace or repair the product without any charges.
Here are our recommendations for the best pullout sofa beds to start with:
Signature Design by Ashley - Larkinhurst Queen Size Faux Weathered Leather Traditional Sleeper Sofa, Earth
Leggett & Platt AirDream Hypoallergenic Inflatable Mattress with Electric Hand Pump for Sleeper Sofas, 60" Queen
DHP Halle Upholstered Daybed and Trundle, Sofa Bed Fits Twin Size Mattress of 6-Inches (Not Included), Brown
Type of Mattress: Innerspring
- Regardless of your genre of home décor, Larkinhurst traditional sleeper sofa will fit excellently.
- Features firm seat cushions, rounded arms, and a concealed innerspring queen-size mattress that you can pull out effortlessly.
- Crafted with a corner-blocked frame
- Faux wood finish.
- Has a sturdy metal frame.
- Dimensions of sleeper sofa are 89″W x 39″ D x 38″H with a 20″ seat height while the dimensions of the mattress are 60″W x 72″D x 4.25″H – a fantastic choice for mid-sized spaces.
- Weighs 204 pounds
- Comes assembled so you don’t have to do any hard work. Easily fits through doorways 32″ and wider.
- Daybed measures 84″D x 45″Wx 42″H while its trundle measures 75.8″ x 38.6″ x1 2.2″
- Weighs 174 pounds
- Made of 100% polyester
- Features slightly curved arms that are further accented by nailhead trimming
- Can accommodate up to 8-inch thick mattress
- Multi-purpose – can be used in a variety of rooms and areas, such as dorms, kids and guest bedrooms.
Note: Mattress is not included.
Type of Mattress: Air-over coil
- Comes with an electric hand pump
- Modern design
- The mattress is hypoallergenic that provides a level of comfort that an ordinary sofa cannot
- Easy to set up and clean
- Features patented air-over-coil technology for more comfort
- Can be inflated in just 60 seconds
- High-quality materials used for construction
- Dimensions: 11 x 60 x 72 inches
- Backed by a 3-year limited warranty
Type of Mattress: Innerspring
- Comes with four 100% polyester toss pillows
- Dimensions: 42” depth x 90” width x 41” height
- Weighs 207 pounds
- Features flared arms, loose-fitting fiber, and foam back seats
- 5-inch thick density foam with Dacron wrap
- Hardwood and plywood frame
- Easy-folding in/out mechanism
- The back and seat are equipped with 8-gauge sinuous wire springs
- Durable construction
- Easy to set up
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Compact size sleeper bed that you can place in any room to accommodate unexpected guests
- Elegant, trendy design
- Easy to set up
- Sleighed arms for an ergonomic feel
- Both back and sides are padded for added support and comfort
- Comes with a trundle
- High wrap-around back for a comfy look
- Weighs 104.5 pounds
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Dimensions: 40” depth x 84.5” width x 38” height
Type of Mattress: Memory Foam
- Features grey linen upholstery with tufting
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Eco-friendly construction
- High-quality memory foam ensures uniform distribution of body weight to provide comfort according to the shape of your body
- Dimensions: 70” x 32.5” x 35.5”
- Backed by a 10-year warranty
A pullout sofa bed is a great way to save space and accommodate your unexpected guests without getting disappointed due to less space. Make sure the pullout sofa bed you opt for features a solid frame, comfortable mattress, and is backed by a long warranty. If you don’t want to get confused while choosing the right pullout sofa bed from countless options available in the market, consider getting one from our recommendations above – you won’t regret. Happy Buying!