I love dessert breads for mid morning or afternoon snacks. Its a great way to get a bit of extra vegetable in my day and satisfy my sweet-tooth. Besides all that, this zucchini bread is really yummo!
Ive removed all of the oil from the original recipe and replaced it with unsweetened apple sauce. From there, I reduced the sugar because the applesauce adds natural sweetener. What youre left with is a delicious zucchini bread thats not too sweet, but is wonderfully moist with a good mouth-feel.
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Crystals (super low glycemic)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini (approximately 1 x-large)
- 1/2 cup seedless organic raisins
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Lightly spray two 8×4 loaf pans with non-stick spray and flour well.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Stir in raisins (adding them to the dry ingredients coats them with flour and helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
- In a separate large bowl; beat egg and egg whites, applesauce, vanilla and Coconut Crystals together.
- Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well.
- Sir in zucchini until well combined.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes (my oven only takes 40 minutes, but my friends takes 60), or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove breads from pans and cool completely.
YIELD: 8 Slices Per Loaf (serving size is one slice)
CALORIES 169 (3% from fat) / FAT .08 g / CARBS 38 g