You may know by now that eating whole wheat is a smart dietary choice and eating wheat berries is as whole as the wheat comes. In case you didn’t know, wheat berries are what all wheat products come from and they’re delicious!
Wheat berries are loaded with nutrients and are as easy as rice to prepare — perfect for a meal at any time of year. Contrary to popular belief, wheat berries do not require an overnight soak before cooking. Simply boil them for 1 hour to soften the kernels, which will produce their characteristically chewy, nutty texture.
This salad is clean, fresh, and delicious! Every ingredient pops with vibrancy. You won’t be able to stop yourself from going back for spoonful after spoonful before it even makes it to the table!
- 1 cup of wheat berries (rinsed)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup finely diced green onion
- 2 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 cup pecans, rough chop
- 1 cup dried cranberries, rough chop
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 sprig rosemary, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 limes, juiced
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Bring water to a boil; add rinsed wheat berries and simmer in a covered pot for about 1 hour or until grains are tender but a little chewy. When done, drain off water.
- Prep green onion, celery, pecans, cranberries, ginger, and rosemary. Add them to a medium bowl.
- Combine the wheat berries with the above ingredients, add olive oil, lime juice, and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.